Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Kids

Today I'm thankful for my kids.

1. How Liam is able to fall asleep wherever I put him.

On the couch.

On the floor.

In the swing.

2. How Sydney is such fun playmate. And how I have the time to play with her, and the desire to play with her. Sometimes when my depression and anxiety kick in I get preoccupied with everyday stresses and I completely lose the desire to do anything fun with my kiddos. I would rather clean my dishes or fold my laundry. I play with them out of obligation, not out of joy. Wanting to play tea party or Mr. Potato Head or magnetic doll dress-up is such a wonderful feeling to have. It makes play so much more fun!


(See the laundry baskets full of clothes waiting to be folded in both of the pictures? Guess what I wasn't doing while I was busy playing with Syd. In fact, I don't think I ever got around to doing it. That's what tomorrow is for, right?) :)

3. How Lillian finally fell asleep tonight. She's been having a hard time lately. It usually starts when it's time to brush teeth. She puts up a big fight. I threaten with various punishments and restrictions. She finally gets into bed, but then starts to cry saying she can't fall asleep. Tonight I tried a different approach and told her that she didn't have to fall asleep, she just had to lay down and be quiet and stay in bed. We said a prayer together asking Heavenly Father to help her feel comfortable and to go to sleep. About 30 seconds after we said the prayer, her bed-side fan miraculously turned on- it had refused to work (as it often does) when she tried turning it on when she got into bed. I smiled and said, "See?! Heavenly Father heard your prayer already!!" :) Within five minutes she was sleeping peacefully.

Gosh, I love watching my kids sleep.


I just have to add more. . .

I'm also thankful for:

4. Dear friends who I can have long conversations with on the phone no matter how long it's been since the last time we talked or how far apart we live. And how, for a moment, it feels like they live next door again.

5. Lipton's Herbal Orange Tea. So soothing and warm on a cold day!

6. My "laundry room." It's just a partitioned off area in the basement, but I love it. It hides the piles of clothes waiting to be washed and it's right next to where the kids play. The girls can bake me a cake in their kitchen set and Liam can bounce in his bouncy chair while I throw laundry in the washer or the dryer- it's great! There might be lots (LOTS) of things that drive me nuts about this apartment, but I really do like the laundry arrangement.

1 comment:

M and N Tenny said...

Your kids are so very sweet! I love this post Amanda, you're a good example of a wonderful mother. Thank you :)