2012 is going to be tough. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. The second half of Bobby's intern year is looking difficult with two months of general surgery and another month of ortho, both of which are very demanding. Then ortho PGY-2 starts this summer, which everyone says is harder than intern year. Bobby will have at least one two-month away rotation in the summer. He won't be too far away, but the program will be putting him up in a one bedroom apartment- not too sure how convenient that will be for a family of five. In 2012 we're also looking at another move. Thankfully it won't be far, just a mile or two across the county line (into a much better school district for Lillian who will be starting kindergarten in September!!) but it still means packing and hauling and trying to fit our stuff into another small apartment.
So to try and keep a positive outlook on the year I've decided to keep a "Gratitude Journal" in which I'll write three things I'm thankful for each day. Here's my first entry:
I'm thankful for...
1. All the things I have to look forward to in 2012- Bobby finishing intern year and starting ortho which he loves; Lillian starting kindergarten; my brother and sister-in-law's baby being born (can't wait to meet my niece!); and who knows what else the year will bring!
2. How excited Lillian and Sydney are to get out of bed and start their day in the morning. Too often I'm complaining about how early it is and how I wish they would just learn how to sleep in so I could sleep longer, but I should appreciate their energy and enthusiasm. As soon as their eyes pop open they get themselves out of bed and say "I'm ready for breakfast!" I wish I could do that.
3. The baked ziti I made three months ago and put in my freezer to save for a night when I needed a quick dinner. It came in handy tonight. :)
Monday, January 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Such a good thing to do. I started doing this a couple years ago and it definitely has made a HUGE difference in how I look at things! Many nights I'll start my journal entry frustrated or down, then I think about what I'm grateful for or what good things happened during the day... without fail, I've been able to find many things from my day or about the trial I'm working through that I'm grateful for. By the end of my journal entry, I'm in a better mood and have a better perspective. I'm able to sleep better and work through my struggles with more faith than I otherwise would. An attitude of gratitude really is the only way I make it through somedays.
I'm sorry it's going to be such a hard year. I wish I was there to help! Having a hubby gone is just hard, no matter the reason. Call me or text me if you ever need a good cry and then some laughter! :) Love you!!
Sounds like alot of fun and eventful changes for the Dorans! I got to admire your sweet little Liam for a while in Relief Society on Sunday. He is so precious!
Post a Comment