Friday, June 26, 2015

Tomatoes & Tinkles

Today I'm thankful for...

1. The first little green tomato on our tomato vine! Lillian gave me four starter tomato plants for Mother's Day- her school has a plant sale fundraiser every year that is strategically scheduled the week before Mother's Day. ;-) After a disappointing (as in virtually non-existant) harvest last year I wasn't planning on doing, tomatoes this year. However, Lillian knows how much I aspire to have a vegetable garden just like Gpa's (and tomatoes also happen to be her favorite food), and when she presented me with the plants for Mother's Day my hopes and dreams were rekindled. Each tomato plant has its own pot along the front walkway, where they've been lovingly watched over and watered during the course of the past few weeks. First we noticed the plants having growth spurts, then little yellow flowers started popping up, and finally today Lillian noticed the first tomato So exciting!

2. A bathroom that no longer smells like a Porta-John. I used to think that it was a lucky blessing that boys were programmed with the ability to pee standing up. Now I'm convinced it's a curse- at least for every Mom who ever has, currently is, and someday will, potty train a little boy. Liam is finally almost completely potty trained, and his aim is actually pretty good most of the time. But every now and then he won't be paying attention when his little hose starts a-spraying, and that, combined with the absence of my weekly cleaning of the bathroom, tends to leave it pretty stinky the majority of the time. I sincerely apologize to anyone who has had to subject themselves to the usage of my bathroom recently. It's clean now, but it won't last long! Thank goodness for disinfecting wipes and bleach.

3. Friends who are like asphalt. My heart has a little ache for my friends who are moving away this year. I'm excited for them and the new phase they are about to begin in their lives, but I'll miss their companionship. I love the way this quote explains friendship; it's so true.



4. And speaking of hearts... Yesterday the kids were drinking Capri Sun juices. They had just come out of the fridge and Liam was chugging his through the straw. Then he suddenly stopped, all out of breath from drinking so much, and he declared, "My heart is cold!!" Haha!

No comments: