Sunday, May 20, 2012

Today I'm thankful for...

1. Camping with my family.  The view of the lake we camped next to.  The fishing pier where the girls threw rocks into the water and caught fish in a net.  Using a spoon-fork-knife-in-one to eat with.  Sleeping in a tent.  Keeping warm by a fire.   Eating s'mores for breakfast.  Seeing a million clear stars in the sky.  Paddle boating.   Hearing Lillian and Sydney say, "This is SO much FUN!" over and over!








2. The trike-a-thon with Lillian's preschool class.  This week was Bike Safety Week.  Lillian learned all about wearing a helmet, riding on the sidewalk, crossing driveways carefully, and watching out for others.  On Friday her class held a trike-a-thon to raise money for St. Jude's.  Scooters were allowed, too, so Lillian brought her pink Razor (from Aunt Aimee and Uncle Alan) and her Dora helmet.  She zoomed around the track like a scooter-riding star for an hour, with ponytail and scooter tassels flying!  Liam rode around in the stroller and Sydney tried to join the big kids on a tricycle, but her little legs couldn't reach the pedals. :(  So she stuck with her ride-on-top car instead.




3. My messy house.  It's hard to look around from my couch where I'm sitting and see the mess around me- a laundry basket full of clothes that need to be folded and put away, a bucket overflowing with winter coats and hats that needs to be sorted and brought down to the basement, piles of papers and random junk on the dining table, dirty dishes in the sink and clean dishes drying in the rack and on top of the stove, more bags on the floor with who-knows-what inside that need to be put away...and there's more but I'll spare you.  When I look at the mess too much I start to get depressed and overwhelmed about it.  I ask myself, "Why is my house such a mess?"  And the answer is this- because instead of folding laundry I was visiting with a friend and watching my kids run around in the grass with their friends.  Instead of doing my dishes, I was reading bedtime stories with my kids and helping Lillian learn how to read a new book. Instead of cleaning my house from top to bottom this weekend, I went camping with my family and made some unforgettable memories.  My house is a disaster zone, but that's ok.  I have a wonderful family who I love spending time with, and I'll take a messy house with my loving family over a clean pristine house without them any day.

2 comments:

Martha said...

I love this post! Lillian is so grown up and LOOK AT THAT HAIR! I didn't realize how long it had gotten!! I'm so glad you had a blast camping and made some great memories. I was just looking at my house tonight as well. Sounds about the same... but I had a fabulous day with CJ & Teddy, visiting friends, and making memories. :) Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for my messy house! ;) Love you!

Aimee said...

I love my messy house too! I have recently come to terms with the fact that I am just sort of a messy unorganized person and accepted it as well. Instead of being stressed about it all the time, I just think, it is what it is! Yes, there are more important things in life than a clean house for sure, thanks for the back up on that one!