Saturday, May 30, 2009

English as a Second Language

A few weeks ago my church asked me to help teach a beginner/low intermediate ESL (English as a Second Language) class. The first class will be this morning in a couple of hours! I'm teaching a really simple (hopefully not too boring) lesson on how to introduce yourself and others.

We don't know exactly who our students will be, or how many we'll have yet. I know of 2 that are coming from my local ward- one is an older gentleman who's native language is Italian. He lives with his daughter and her 4 teenage children. The other is an older lady from Germany who is visiting her daughter and family for a few months. There's a significant African population in the area, so I assume that the majority of students will be from that area. We'll just have to wait and see!

I'm a little nervous about teaching, since it's been 2 years since I graduated with my Master's in Teaching ESL and I haven't taught it in a long time. But it's been exciting to get all my old books out and to plan a lesson! Teaching methods and learning strategies have been slowly coming back to me....hopefully they keep coming!

Teaching English is such a rewarding experience and I'm really looking forward to being involved with this class. English can seem so boring, but it's actually quite entertaining. I would recommend it to anyone. To prove my point, here's a funny commercial for ESL software. It circulated around my Master's program for a while:



Here's another funny one from Steve Martin's Pink Panther. Sooo funny, I can't help myself!! :)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I didn't realize that was your educational background. That's so fun that you have the chance to use it. I hope the class goes well!

Martha said...

That is so funny! I loved that last one. hee, hee. I can only imagine how we must sound to others when we try to speak their language! :) You'll do wonderful teaching, I am sure.

Dave, Susan, Jarom Hardy said...

Okay so I am just busting out OUT LOUD!!! That was SO funny. I knew there was a reason I love Steve Martin. He is doing a great job with that fake French accent. Kodos to you! You will be great!!! I really miss you.