Friday, May 22, 2009

The Ending of an Era

About a month and a half ago Bobby and I decided to take Lillian's much-beloved "chupie" away. If you're not familiar with the vocabulary at our house, "chupie" is just another way to say binkie, pacifier, passy, ba-boo, or whatever you may call it at your house. Lillian started calling her's an "uh-oh" because that's what I would always say when it would drop on the floor and bounce away, which was quite often.

In any case, the big green chupie has officially gone "bye-bye" and is "all done." I was surprised at how easy it was to take away and how little Lillian asks for it. I was sure she was a hard core addict and that she would suffer from severe withdraw when we took it, but the process has been mostly painless. She probably cries a little more without it, but a few more tears won't hurt her.

Now I have quite a collection of chupies that I don't know what to do with. I have to keep them hidden from Lillian becuase if she sees them she is suddenly reminded of her old habit and feels the addictive urge to start it again. At $4-$5 for a 2-pack, I just can't bring myself to destroy them, although that would probably be the most sanitary thing to do. I'm sure that recycling them isn't a good idea, no matter how economically or environmentally sensitive I'm trying to be. :/

In memory of the days of old, here are some classic chupie pics!

2 months


6 months - "must get chupie!!"


12 months


15 months


18 months


20 months - the last chupie pic we have!


22 months - chupie free and loving life!

2 comments:

Martha said...

Whoo! Another post! You're on a roll. Hooray for Lillian to be finished with the chupie and Yay for mommy and daddy for taking it away!! It's like a grand ritual that your little one is now a big girl. And what an adorable big girl she is. I love her personality in that last picture. So cute!

Jackie said...

Haha. I vaguely remember when Dave gave his up. He just walked in and said he didn't want it anymore. I probably would still have mine today if I wasn't forced to let go :)