Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Courage & Faith

Berit Price is the most amazing woman I know.  Her husband passed away on Friday, February 8.  They were only married a little over three years.  He was the bishop of our ward.  We quickly became friends after we moved to Philly and found out that they lived only half a mile from us.  

 A little over two weeks ago Berit revealed the severity of Rob's health condition to us.  He had been in and out of the hospital a lot over the past couple of  months, but we weren't really sure what was going on.  Doctors weren't hopeful about his condition, but Berit was.  Listening to her talk that night was humbling.  She knew her husband was close to death, but she was optimistic and her strong spirit was carrying her through.  She had the faith to make a miracle happen, but at the same time she knew Rob was on Heavenly Father's schedule and she was ready to accept whatever His plan might be.  As I watched Berit over the next couple of days, not knowing what the outcome might be, I was inspired by her positive attitude and the strong relationship she was developing with the Lord.  She was at peace, free from fear or resentment.

Over dinner later that night Berit told us some stories about their last day together.  She said it was the most joyous day a married couple could have had as their final time on earth.  She was holding him when he slipped away, telling him it was ok for him to go because they were sealed together.

At Rob's funeral his father-in-law told us that he and his wife had some concerns about Rob's health when Berit told them that they were getting married.  Her response was, "I would rather have one day with him than an eternity without him."  Their mortal days together may have been limited, but now she truly has an eternal life with him to look forward to.  

Berit's courage inspires me.  She is facing my greatest fear with astounding strength and unfailing faith.  I will always treasure the example that she is to me.

1 comment:

marylandgis said...

I would have liked to get to know Rob and Berit better during visits to you in Phila. I wonder if a strong woman like Berit, with the commitments she has, will ever remarry. Or will she go it alone the rest of her mortal life?