Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back to School!

Note: I meant to have pictures in this post, but it's not working.  Stay tuned for a photographic update!

Today was the first day of school, and Lillian hit the ground running!

I, on the other hand, was not with the program.  I mis-read the bus schedule and thought that the morning bus would arrive TEN minutes LATER than it actually did.  I thought I was so prepared, with Lilly's lunch all packed, the stroller ready, and my "time to go to the bus stop" alarm on my phone, but by the time we started walking down the side walk we saw all the other moms and dads walking back to their houses!  We totally missed the bus!  A nice neighbor friend offered to watch Liam and Sydney while I drove Lillian in to school.

Although it was a first day of school blunder on my part, it turned out to be fun.  I enjoyed the extra time with Lillian, and it gave her a chance to watch the video text that Bobby sent for her late last night (that I had forgotten to show her earlier in the morning).  We held hands as we walked across the front of the school to the first grade line-up area.  As she was getting in line she saw her BFF from kindergarten and they shared a very exuberant reunion.  They are in the same class together, which makes me so happy for her.

Lillian was so excited that I don't think she even noticed when I left.  What a big girl!

While she was busy learning and making new friends at school, Sydney got her teeth cleaned at the dentist.  Another cavity-free visit for her (much better than her older sister)!  She sat in the "Muppet/Sesame Street Room" and got to watch Epic while the dental hygienist and the dentist checked her little teeth.  Liam wanted to watch, too, so he climbed right up into the chair with her.  He's such a cheese ball!

This is Mama Fox's second visit to the dentist.  (See this post here for her first visit!)

After a quick visit to the grocery store afterwards (which, by the way, is much easier with 2 kids rather than all 3) and some lunch at home, Liam took a nice nap and I painted Sydney's nails on the front porch.  Good mother-daughter bonding time.  At some point between all that I managed to knock out some of the heaping pile of dirty dishes in the kitchen sink.

I got my act together by the afternoon and we made it to the bus stop to pick Lillian up with PLENTY of time to spare.  She bounced off the bus and ran to give us all hugs.  She had a big smile on her face and she said her first day of first grade was, "Perfect!!!"  Her teacher is really nice; she sits next to two boys in Row 3, but they are really nice and they don't bother her like _______ did last year; she got to read a book about birds before she got on the bus; there is another Emma in her class, but not the same one that was in her kindergarten class; she showed her friend A where her cubby is; and she has gym class tomorrow so she has to wear tennis shoes.  Did ya get all that?

To celebrate the momentous day, we walked to the 7 Eleven down the street with a friend and got Slurpees for everyone.

I'm much more prepared for tomorrow.  We shouldn't miss the bus again.


No comments: