Thursday, January 3, 2013

HELLOOOO!!!!

Today I'm thankful for...

1. 2013!!  It seriously seems like it was only last night that I was sitting on my couch in our old apartment typing out a blog post about 2012.  Deep down I was dreading the new year and I was trying very hard to focus on all of the things I had to look forward to that 2012 would bring.  Well, I'm happy to report that I survived the year.  Keeping a positive attitude most certainly helped.  There were some difficult and rough spots- a friend died in a tragic car accident in January; then my father-in-law's health quickly declined in March before he passed away; there were lots of long and lonely nights while Bobby was working late or on call....there are more things but what's the point in dwelling on the bad stuff?  There were way more great things about 2012- my niece Nanner was born! (on the same day as Michelle Obama's birthday, which also happens to be the same day I was baptized in 2003...how's that for some random facts for ya?); Lillian started kindergarten; Sydney started a parent co-op preschool that I'm thrilled to be a part of; we moved into a cute little house on a cute little street with awesome neighbors; we've made lots of new friends; Bobby's hours still suck but he gets to do his ortho stuff which he loves and he has home call; we went camping as a family; we hiked around some beautiful waterfalls; we had an awesome vacation at the beach; Liam is growing and babbling and is as cute as ever; I got to spend lots of time with my mom and dad in the beginning of the year when they were living nearby; I still get to hang out with my sister because she lives here, too (but only for a few more months!)...this is how I want to remember 2012.  It was a good year.  It makes me hopeful for 2013.

2. Tight squeezes!  I just love, love, love getting (and giving!) big, tight hugs to my kiddos.  Bobby and I will say, "give me a tight squeeze!" and they'll wrap their arms around our neck and their legs around our waste and squeeze as hard as they can.  Sydney gave me a big hug in the kitchen today and it was especially nice because it was totally out of the blue.  When Lillian walked through the door after school she jumped into my arms and hugged me tight, too.  Then we played ring-around-the-rosy on the floor and Sydney joined in.  Liam just looked at us like we were a bunch of silly girls (which we are).  It's moments like those that I wish I could freeze time and hold onto them for a very long time.

3. Liam's charm.  This boy is cute.  I might just be saying that because he's my little boy, but in any case he's pretty darn adorable.  He'll fold his arms when we say "time to say prayer!"  When we ask, "Liam, do you want to brush your teeth?" he sticks his finger in his mouth and pretends it's a toothbrush.  Ask him, "What does a cow say" and he'll say "Booooo!"  If you say, "Where's Liam?!" he'll put his little hands over his eyes, wait a few seconds, then take them away with a big grin on his face to see who's watching him.  It's the cutest game of peek-a-boo I've ever seen.  He stuffs whole animal crackers in his mouth as if he has to eat them before they get up and run away; he waves at everyone (and I mean everyone) he sees and he'll say "hi, hi" as his arm is flapping up and down; he has a little dimple in his left cheek; he pushes his trucks all over the house...I am in love with this little guy!

4. Dirty Jobs.  Lillian and Sydney have become obsessed with watching "Dirty Jobs" with Bobby.  Mike Rowe, the host, has become a common household name around here.  I was doing something messy the other day and Lilly said, "Wow, Mom, that's a dirty job!  You should tell Mike Rowe!"  I'm sad that Discovery has canceled the show, but we'll continue to enjoy watching past episodes on Netflix. :)


No comments: