Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Simeone Foundation Museum - Vrrrooom!!

I don't know anything about cars, but this race car museum was awesome! Bobby, Nate and I went with Lillian and Sydney on Saturday. It's been in South Philly for about a year and a half and it's comprised of Dr. Fred Simeone's personal car collection. We actually got to meet Dr. Simeone and he's a really nice guy. His dad was a general practitioner who got through med school by fixing cars. He said his dad was his hero and he wanted to be just like him, so he started collecting race cars at a young age, mostly in the 70's, before anyone knew their worth and history. He said most of them are so valuable now that he wouldn't be able to afford them. He donated his collection to the Simeone Foundation so that the public could enjoy it. And enjoy it we did! There were lots of Ferrari's, a couple Aston Martin's, an Auston Healey, some Bugatti's, a few Stutz cars, a bunch of Alfa Romeo's (these must be Dr. Simeone's favorites), and many, many more. I've never heard of most of these cars before (please excuse my ignorance for all you car experts out there), but it was still fun to look at them all- especially the pretty, shiny ones! I highly recommend a visit, I know you'll have fun.


The museum is located at 6825 Norwitch Drive in South Philly, right off I-76 and Passyunk Ave. It's only $8 for students, $12 for adults, and kids under 8 are free. They also offer yearly memberships. Their website is www.simeonefoundation.org.

My favorite quote in the museum is right above the entrance door: "The first race was conceived when the second car was built." Thank you, Dr. Simeone for your generosity and time in constructing this museum! Vrroooom! :)

No comments: