Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ornament Party

Have you ever been to a Christmas tree ornament party? They're so much fun!

My dear friend Alena, who I met when we lived in Delaware for 2 years, introduced me to the Christmas tradition. I've continued the tradition here in Philly for the past 2 years and I plan on doing it for many years to come.

Here's how it works: You invite people (obviously). Everyone brings one new, wrapped Christmas tree ornament. Then everyone draws a number to see who goes first. The first person picks a wrapped ornament and opens it. The second person can steal the first person's ornament or open a new one. If a person's ornament is stolen, they can either steal someone else's ornament, or they can open a wrapped one. This continues until everyone has taken their turn and all the ornaments are gone. An ornament can only be stolen twice, then it's "safe" with the lucky owner to has it (this rule is debatable. some people have no stealing, others change the number of times it can be stolen, or have no limit at all- it's up to the hostess). It's lots of fun and everyone goes home with a new ornament!

This year I didn't do a very good job of planning, so it was a bit last minute. Next year I'll definitely plan it for earlier in the month before everyone starts packing and leaving for the holiday break.

Thanks, Alena, for introducing me to ornament parties! If anyone else has fun Christmas traditions that you like to do, please share them with me! I'm in the market for some good traditions to start incorporating into our family.

No comments: