Monday, March 17, 2008

How to survive a sinking car


I had a dream last night that I was riding in a car that drove off a bridge and landed in the water. I woke up just as the water inside the car was rising and was about to cover my head. Drowning in a car that plunges off the side of a bridge is one of my biggest fears- just thinking about it makes me feel like I need to take a deep breath. However, I have no fear of bridges or water by themselves, and I have no problem driving over bridges. In fact, I love the water- it's beautiful! I grew up near the water and I want to live near the water. I just don't want to drown because I'm stuck in a car that's sinking!

So, due to this fear, I decided to look up some survival tactics in case I ever find myself in this situation. Basically, the best thing to do is to stay calm and break the window to get out. Here are some links with some more tips (in case you ever find yourself in this unlucky situation- which I hope you don't!):

How to survive a sinking car

Myth Busters video

BTW, the photo above is the sunrise on December 30, 2004 at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware, where the mouth of the Delaware Bay feeds into the Atlantic Ocean. Bobby (my then-fiance, now-husband!) and I have a tradition of watching the last (or near last) sunrise of the year, preferably at the beach. It was absolutely freezing cold that morning, but one of the most beautiful and peaceful sunrises I've ever seen.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I hope I never have to use these helpful tips!! I drove over several bridges this weekend, and thought of your post. :) I still love bridges, though! =)