1. Handprint Art. This afternoon, Sydney and Liam made some pretty awesome works of art for Father's Day. I would post pictures of their work, but it would spoil the surprise for you-know-who. I'm under strict orders to keep it confidential. So stay posted until June 15th...
2. Picnic lunches in the yard. Sydney and I had lovely picnic lunch in the sunshine this afternoon. Sydney laid out a big yellow beach towel all by herself, which she was very proud of accomplishing. It started to get pretty hot in the sunlight, so we fetched our giant umbrella and ate under its shade. We enjoyed star noodles, cold pizza, grapes, strawberries, cucumbers, and goldfish crackers. It was quite a feast.
3. Big umbrellas. Our big umbrella is good for more than keeping us dry during a monsoon or providing shade during a sunny afternoon picnic. It can also be a big boat, as Sydney showed me. She sang "Row, row, your boat" as she rocked back and forth inside of it. She also twirled it around like a baton, and she even stood up on a chair and stretched up high to make the umbrella touch the ceiling. It kept her quite entertained for a good while. I just hope that the old superstition isn't true of having bad luck when you open an umbrella indoors- if it is, we're totally doomed.
4. Sydney's Selfie. She got a hold of my phone this morning and took about 50 photos around the house- mostly of her toes, the inside of our bedroom closets, and the view looking over the balcony and down the stairs (I don't want to think about how she had to dangle my phone over the edge of the balcony for those photos...) Of all of them, this one is my favorite.
5. Lots of time with Sydney. I just realized how much I'm writing about Sydney. I'm so glad I got to have some one-on-one time with her today. Liam has been sick with a fever and a cough over the past few days. Today his fever seemed to hit a peek and he took a very long nap in the morning. That gave Sydney and me some extra time to spend together. We had a lot of fun, but I hope Liam hit the worst of it today so he'll be feeling better soon.
6. Drawing with Lillian. Lillian wants to learn how to draw a horse, so we looked up some easy step-by-step instructions online. We sketched, erased, and resketched together. We discussed where to draw our lines and we asked each other, "How would Unlce Alan do it?" In the end, our horses didn't turn out nearly as well as the teacher-illustrator's, and we decided that her instructions weren't ideal (although our ability level is probably some of the blame...at least a little bit). :) I did a quick search on our library's online catalog and found some books by a guy named Dan Green. He has a bunch of different books on how to do simple line drawings, geared toward kids- "How to Draw....101 Animals; 101 Monsters; 101 Silly People; 404 Things for Girls; 404 Things for Boys; Dinosaurs and Other Cool Things, 101 Ocean Animals," etc. I'm hoping we can get our hands on some of these books soon. Lillian suggested getting them for her birthday...hmmm, good idea!
![]() |
I love how Lilly drew her horse's mane, and the sun with the squiggly rays coming off of it. Like it's right out of My Little Pony!
|
7. The way Liam says, "I want you" and "I want to hold you!" when he wants me to pick him up and hold him. If he's talking to someone else and I mistakenly think he's talking to me he'll say, "I'm not talking at you, Mom." His little brain is working so hard trying to master the grammar of the English language! I love it!





No comments:
Post a Comment