1. Good food. Today was Fast Sunday. On the first Sunday of every month we fast together as a church. That usually means skipping two consecutive meals, whether it's dinner the night before and breakfast in the morning, or breakfast and lunch on the same day. The money that we would have spent on food, we donate into what's called "fast offerings." This money is used to help those in need to buy food and other necessities. Fasting is also a special opportunity to pray for something personal, whether it's for an answer to a question, for guidance, strength, or for someone else. Today I was fasting for a friend and also for inspiration on how to contribute financially to our family without taking too much time away from the kids (I'm down to babysitting one kid instead of two and would like to replace the drop in income). Our church doesn't start until noon. We finish at 3pm, but we usually don't get home until 4pm because we stay to talk to friends and on the way home we always stop to visit an elderly couple. I'm usually pretty hungry by the time we get home and dinner is ready. Tonight Bobby made one of his childhood favorites- eggs goldenrod. It's a yummy cheesy and boiled egg mixture eaten over toast. Lillian has been asking to have it for a few days and we had lots of eggs in the fridge. After fasting for most of the day, the first bite of whatever I'm eating is so savory. It doesn't even matter what the food is. I remember one Fast Sunday not long after Bobby and I got married- I broke my fast with a Ritz cracker topped with vanilla yogurt and a slice of fresh peach. At the time it felt like the most delicious thing my taste buds had ever experienced. I'm grateful for the food that has always been available in my home and for the reminder that fasting gives me of how fortunate I am to not have to experience hunger on a non-voluntary basis.
2. Bum burps. When Liam toots (farts, passes gas, lets one rip...) he says his bum just burped. So funny!
3. Sleeping in. Bobby let me get "five more minutes" of sleep this morning while he fed the kids breakfast and got them dressed for church. Those extra five minutes were more like an hour...and what a wonderful hour of sleeping it was. :)
4. How to Hide a Lion written and illustrated by Helen Stephens. We got this book from the library earlier this week and it's Liam's new favorite book. We've read it a jillion times already. It's a cute story about a lion and a little girl named Iris who tries to hide him from her parents and the special friendship they form. The illustrations are fun colored sketches and the text is short but entertaining. Perfect for a two year old who loves lions. I don't mind reading it to him over and over again.
5. Lilly and Sydney's tea parties. They got dressed up in fancy dresses this afternoon and set up a full tea service on their bedroom floor. It's so fun to see them play, imagine, and interact with one another. It just warms my heart to see their friendship grow and blossom. I'm glad they have each other. I know they have a lot to give to one another, as well as a lot to learn from each other. Sisters are just great that way...I'm glad I have a sister of my own to experience it with too.

No comments:
Post a Comment