The big moment has come- I have a kid in kindergarten!
I remember riding the school bus for the first time with my mom during kindergarten orientation twenty-four years ago. The bus seemed big and dark and I felt a little wary about the whole process at first. Having my mom there helped me feel so much better.
Yesterday I got to sit in my mom's shoes and I rode the bus to school with Lillian for the first time! She was an excited and brave little girl. She held my hand and I held hers- I don't know who was more nervous. :)
 |
| Waiting at the bus stop |
 |
| Still waiting for the bus |
 |
| On the bus! |
We walked into the elementary school for the first time together, hand-in-hand. It's a beautiful school and her kindergarten class looks awesome. There were number charts, growth charts, job charts, sign-language posters, blocks, art supplies, books upon books, toys, alphabets, numbers, an alphabet rug (no kindergarten class is complete without one, I think), little desks with little chairs, cubbies for backpacks and school supplies, and a kindergartener-sized bathroom. Her teacher seems really nice and is highly recommended by one of my neighbors whose four daughters all had Lillian's teacher in kindergarten. When it was time to leave to get back on the bus to go home Lillian said she wished she could stay in her classroom longer!
 |
| First story time on the rug. When the teacher told the kids that they were getting caterpillars next week that would turn into Monarch butterflies, Lillian's hand shot up and she said, "Monarch butterflies fly to Mexico!" She either learned that in preschool last year or from watching Diego- sadly, I think it's the latter. At least she's paying attention. :) |
Today was the BIG day.
Lillian toted her loaded backpack to the bus stop and got on the bus like a champ. We signed "I love you" and blew kisses through the window.
 |
| My little trio waiting at the bus stop. |
 |
| Here comes the bus down the street!! |
 |
| Oh my goodness, she's on the bus going to kindergarten!! |
Just as I was starting to feel a little forlorn about my little girl riding away from me on a big yellow bus, Sydney suddenly burst into tears and said, "I wanted Lillian to stay home! I forgot to tell her something!!" As I held her and wiped away her tears, she told me that she wanted to tell Lillian about going to the park. I promised her that she could tell Lillian as soon as she got home. Then we spent the afternoon at the grocery store getting Sydney's birthday cereal, dinner ingredients, and cake-making supplies. I can't believe she'll be three on Monday!!
 |
| Helpful little shoppers |
 |
Syd kicks back with her ring pop- a bribe treat for being good in the grocery store |
Lillian requested that I be waiting on the right side of the road on her way home so she could see me through the window and know when to get off the bus. I didn't want to miss it, so we got to the bus stop early and waited 20 minutes for her arrival. As soon as the bus rolled up I saw her smiling and waving through the window. She bounded down the bus steps and gave me a big hug. It was awesome!
 |
| She made it! |
Lillian said she had a fun day and that she's excited about going back tomorrow. I'm so happy that she had a good first day. I'm grateful that I am able to be here to be part of these experiences in Lillian's life, and I'm so grateful to be living in this area with access to wonderful schools. It's going to be a good year. :)
2 comments:
very touching words, I am only wish that I were there with you to watch her get on the bus. I love you my family.
love daddy.
I just cried. Such a big girl. Miss you all.
Post a Comment